Monday, October 21, 2013

My Scars Speak of My Strength by G. Dormeus


The day my life changed was August 11, 2009. While driving my younger brother to his first year of college, my family and I were involved in a horrible car accident.  My mother tried to make a turn off of the exit. She could not execute the turn and lost control of the car.  We hit a tree head on at 60 miles an hour. My younger brother and I were in the back seat and my mother and sister were in the front. My mother suffered a broken femur, arm, and ribs, my sister suffered from a broken ankle, my brother suffered major internal injuries to his organs, my neck broke (in four different places), my right hand and right foot broke, and my intestines were crushed. Four surgeries later my body was left with a lot of scars that were hard for me to look at times, the one on my stomach is a foot long, the ones on my right hand are six inches each, the one on the back of my neck is the only one that I can see, and the one in the front of my neck has gotten a little darker some of my scars on my chest from the seatbelt ripping my skin off have healed up really nice. I had a hard time in the beginning dealing with all these scars on my body, until one day I thought to myself all of my scars are part of a story a story that I am able to tell because I survived! The quote I have is my own quote that I have written on the back of my phone which helps me every day!




“My scars speak of my strength.  They tell my amazing story of being a survivor"!

~Guerlande Dormeus, student

No comments:

Post a Comment